Homer Township Author Fair: Interview with the Author, Kevin Kenealy
Kevin Kenealy, author of 20 Something:
1. What are your current projects? To be honest, my writing has been dry lately. I did take a creative writing class in the spring to jump start it and did begin working on a murder/mystery about a woman looking for revenge against her husband, but I have not done a whole lot since. I do have a blog,www.thewritersblockpparty.com. that I started a while ago to encourage writers to get out of writers block and kept up on it for quite some time, and I am meaning to get back to that. I would love to follow up my book soon, and I know once my writing is back in a groove, it will stay that way.
2. What is your work schedule like when writing? When I get into a rhythm in writing, I write daily. I start by finding a comfortable time to set aside and let any ideas flow onto paper or onto the screen. Once I get into a routine like this, writing begins coming at all times of the day as my ideas begin to multiply.
3. What do you enjoy doing when you are not writing? When I'm not writing, I enjoy traveling. I have traveled to Europe and to 40 of 50 states and intend to see all 50. This August I conquered nearly the whole east coast by renting a car and traveling from Washington D.C. to Maine, stopping to take in the rich history, culture, entertainment and beauty east coast cities and nature has to offer. I am a big reader and will always have something I have my nose in; I also stay up on physical activity and love being involved in volunteer projects through my church.
4. Can you recommend one book, musician, and movie? If I had to recommend one book to read it would be Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead because it really shows the strength of the human spirit. As far as a musician, listen to John Lennon's solo work. For those who love to write, Lennon wrote from the heart and his feelings really came out in his songs; I find I can put on a Lennon song and be in the same room with him and that's how writing should be. For a movie recommendation, I would say to see Good Will Hunting because of the great writing in the dialogue and for the terrific acting we see with Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Robin Williams, and crew.
5. What are you reading now? Right now, I am wrapping up Gone Girl. If you are looking for a thriller that will keep you page turning and you want something that is current, pick it up. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this ends and seeing it on screen. I'm equally excited to figure out what I read next.
Celebrate reading and writing with the people behind the stories at the Homer Township Public Library's 7th annual Author Fair! The event will be on Monday, October 20th from 6:30-8:30pm. All authors will have tables throughout the library, at which they will sell their books and answer your questions. Authors of children, teen, and adult books will be present. The scheduled authors for this year's Homer Township Public Library Author Fair include: Dr. Sharon Duncan, Kevin Kenealy, Helen Osterman, Garret Rhea, D.A. Roach, Deanna Shelby, Marianne Walsh, Gary Yambor, Nikki Young, Donna Zadunajsky, and Grandpa Casey Ziemniarski.